Monday, October 10, 2011
Foundation Silent Auction Seeks Donated Items
On behalf of the WLA Foundation, I want to remind all conference attendees about the Silent Auction at the WLA conference in Milwaukee. Once again this year we will have both an on-site and an online silent auction. Last year’s auctions raised more than $4,000 for the Campaign for Wisconsin Libraries and with your help we should be able to surpass that amount this year!
We need your help in two ways: first, by donating items for the auction and, second, by bidding on the items either online or in person at the conference.
Donated items that have created bidding excitement at past auctions include (but are not limited to –creativity is appreciated!):
• Fine arts, including jewelry, paintings, sculpture, pottery
• Products or services that a library or librarians would find useful (story hour, consulting)
• Entertainment packages (theater or sporting event tickets, golf packages)
• Hotel packages (e.g., weekend getaways with one or more meals included)
• Theme baskets (a great and economical gift donation for library staff to create collectively!)
• Trips inside or outside Wisconsin
• Collectibles, antiques and memorabilia
Keep the following guidelines in mind as you consider donating items for the auction:
• Please donate items that are $50 or higher in value
• Items are tax-deductible as charitable contributions at their actual value
• WLAF owns the items once contributed
In addition to the satisfaction of raising money to support the Campaign for Wisconsin Libraries and adding to the fun of Silent Auction bidders, those who donate auction items will benefit by:
• Having your name listed on the bid sheet and on the receipt provided to the winning bidder.
• Name recognition on the conference Web site auction information
• Receiving recognition on the WLA website
So, don’t forget to donate those “unused” or handmade treasures you have on hand to the Silent Auction held during the conference. Visit the WLA Conference Silent Auction site for more information and access to the Auction Contribution forms:
See you in Milwaukee!
--Joe Rice, 2011 Silent Auction Chair