Tuesday, March 17, 2009

WLA Awards nominations due June 1

The Awards and Honors Committee is thinking spring, and the coming of spring means that WLA members should be thinking about what libraries, programs, and colleagues they are going to nominate for awards this year. The new nomination deadline is June 1 and is fast approaching. The award categories include WLA/DEMCO Librarian of the Year, Library of the Year, Trustee of the Year, Muriel Fuller Award, Special Services Award, Citation of Merit, and WLA/Highsmith Award. Please remember that the honorees selected as the WLA/DEMCO Librarian of the Year and the WLA/Highsmith Award will each receive a check for $1,000.00 from their corporate sponsors.

Alice Sturzl, 2007 WLA/DEMCO Librarian of the Year has this to say about her receiving her award, “I was really honored to be selected as the Librarian of the Year, but humbled to learn that what I thought was taking-care-of-business was being viewed as over-and-above-the call-of-duty by my colleagues in the field of librarianship. I was so overcome with emotion after I had received the telephone call on my way back to Laona from Door County that I had to pull into a gas-station to compose myself."

If you have any questions about the nominations process, please contact Roxane Bartelt, committee chair. Nomination forms and criteria for each award are available online.

No comments: